My current notebook, MSI GX633 turned 2 years old by this March. In past months, the notebook run pretty hot that it’s not even possible to run everything at maximum. A more intense task like video playback would raise the temperature to more than 90 degrees Celcius. I can’t even use the maximum clock (the processor run at 550 Mhz, 1.1 Ghz and 2.2 Ghz), so I’m limiting it to the middle clock, and even so it still heat that much.
I have tried a few solutions to solve this overheating issue, first is undervolting. It’s kind of challenge to find which tools that can undervolt AMD Turion X2 processor, and I found K40Stat worked for me. I was hoping this could solve the overheating, but it’s not. I always get BSOD at the end. The next solution I tried is buying a laptop cooler (opted for Targus model), but it didn’t help much either. In the end, I could only run half the clock of the processor to prevent it from overheat.
In general, overheating is caused by accumulated dust on the air intake and outtake, blocking off the ventilation. Even though the solution is simple, by cleaning the fan and the ventilation, but it require me to open the notebook cover. Since this is my only work computer, I’m always avoiding this but I finally build up the courage to do it as the heat is unbearable anymore. Read on to find out how I clean my fan and solve the overheating issue. 🙂
Well, this has irritated me for a while. Virtual Box keep crashing when it start OS, this happen on any OS I want to run. So I’m unable to run some OS I needed, such as XP and Linux, inside my Seven. This happens for quite a while now, I have tried updating my Virtual Box to the newest version several times, and none of them have worked.
Today, I tried again running Virtual Box, hoping it will be able to run a small OS like Puppy. The same thing happen, it crashed. I was forced to turn off the machine manually. After that, I did a little Google search. Finally I found that this problem also happen on another AMD Turion powered notebook, and not only on Virtual Box, but also on Virtual PC.
I found that it seems updating the BIOS might solve this issues. That raise my hopes up. But unfortunately, search in MSI website returned that I have the latest BIOS version. So no update is available, thus no solution. Good things that now I know the problem is related to the processor, further search found that hardware virtualization is the culprit.
Now that I have hardware virtualization disabled, I can finally run any OS I needed. To disable it, go to setting on each OS, click on System and move to Acceleration tab. Uncheck the Enable VT-x/AMD-V option.
Well, this is a little unusual. I got two times of Google sorry today, while I actually never got one before. This happened when I’m trying to search a query in Chrome address field. Weird… It might be my network though.
And of course, I don’t have any bot program to run search repeatly. And I also didn’t do any ping to their server. Is that means Google have increased their security for overuse of their search engine? Well, whatever. I just hope that it won’t happen again. 🙂
It has been some time since the last post. I’m so damn busy about things. A lot of good and bad things happen in this past two months. Never mind the bad things, but I would like to share the good things. LOL 🙂
Last month, I bought a notebook by credit, a MSI GX633. This notebook is made for gamer, so should work fine for designing job and of course, for drawing and even better for programming. My old Pentium 4 PC is so slow when it comes to run an IDE, such as Aptana and Netbeans, and even worse when I’m drawing, and it lags a lot when I run many browsers (usually 3 version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Opera) together, IDE and a graphic software. LOL. To make up with it, I used Linux, so at least, I got a better performance than I was on Windows XP. Now, I can run Windows 7 pretty well, have a lot of windows opened together, and still work fine without lag. 🙂
Well, this is the third and hopefully the last day for me to upgrade my Xubuntu install to 9.10, or also widely known as Karmic Koala. It is painful..! lol But this experience is worth it, except that it really kills my time which I suppose to do my work… 🙁 I don’t know why, or probably because of the lack experience of me, I got into the series of failure while upgrading from Xubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. Actually, my first install was Ubuntu 9.04 but I later change to Xubuntu by installing the xubuntu-desktop, probably that’s the culprit of why the auto upgrade fails.
The first day – upgrading the current Xubuntu
So at the start, I have a well working Xubuntu 9.04. Updates for 9.10 came in October 29, but I do upgrade on the next day. My internet was running slowly -it probably just my connection to Ubuntu server, since I got a great download speed on others- to download all of the updates (which surpassed 800MB), that takes more than 12 hours to complete. Well, during that time, I can do everything in my PC until, the upgrading process which takes another hour to complete, at this time it loads heavily and almost impossible to do anything. It seems everything run smoothly and it asks me to reboot.