Well, this has irritated me for a while. Virtual Box keep crashing when it start OS, this happen on any OS I want to run. So I’m unable to run some OS I needed, such as XP and Linux, inside my Seven. This happens for quite a while now, I have tried updating my Virtual Box to the newest version several times, and none of them have worked.
Today, I tried again running Virtual Box, hoping it will be able to run a small OS like Puppy. The same thing happen, it crashed. I was forced to turn off the machine manually. After that, I did a little Google search. Finally I found that this problem also happen on another AMD Turion powered notebook, and not only on Virtual Box, but also on Virtual PC.
I found that it seems updating the BIOS might solve this issues. That raise my hopes up. But unfortunately, search in MSI website returned that I have the latest BIOS version. So no update is available, thus no solution. Good things that now I know the problem is related to the processor, further search found that hardware virtualization is the culprit.
Now that I have hardware virtualization disabled, I can finally run any OS I needed. To disable it, go to setting on each OS, click on System and move to Acceleration tab. Uncheck the Enable VT-x/AMD-V option.
It has been some time since the last post. I’m so damn busy about things. A lot of good and bad things happen in this past two months. Never mind the bad things, but I would like to share the good things. LOL 🙂
Last month, I bought a notebook by credit, a MSI GX633. This notebook is made for gamer, so should work fine for designing job and of course, for drawing and even better for programming. My old Pentium 4 PC is so slow when it comes to run an IDE, such as Aptana and Netbeans, and even worse when I’m drawing, and it lags a lot when I run many browsers (usually 3 version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Opera) together, IDE and a graphic software. LOL. To make up with it, I used Linux, so at least, I got a better performance than I was on Windows XP. Now, I can run Windows 7 pretty well, have a lot of windows opened together, and still work fine without lag. 🙂
Well, this is the third and hopefully the last day for me to upgrade my Xubuntu install to 9.10, or also widely known as Karmic Koala. It is painful..! lol But this experience is worth it, except that it really kills my time which I suppose to do my work… 🙁 I don’t know why, or probably because of the lack experience of me, I got into the series of failure while upgrading from Xubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. Actually, my first install was Ubuntu 9.04 but I later change to Xubuntu by installing the xubuntu-desktop, probably that’s the culprit of why the auto upgrade fails.
The first day – upgrading the current Xubuntu
So at the start, I have a well working Xubuntu 9.04. Updates for 9.10 came in October 29, but I do upgrade on the next day. My internet was running slowly -it probably just my connection to Ubuntu server, since I got a great download speed on others- to download all of the updates (which surpassed 800MB), that takes more than 12 hours to complete. Well, during that time, I can do everything in my PC until, the upgrading process which takes another hour to complete, at this time it loads heavily and almost impossible to do anything. It seems everything run smoothly and it asks me to reboot.
I recently tried to use Inkscape for drawing some vector based graphics, unfortunately my Wacom Bamboo didn’t work as expected. Whenever I move my pen up and back to the Inkscape window, the cursor stuck. To solve it, I need to move my pen to the area outside Inkscape window, then it works again. Really, not comfortable.
Then again, Google helps me to find the answer. 🙂 This bug has been reported and some workaround has been made. Simply by modifying a DLL will make it works fine. However, I’m not gonna get into this thing, thanks to the ready DLL by Voon, it makes our life easier…
My installed Pidgin didn’t work well this past few days so I started looking for another multiprotocol IM client that is free and customizeable, then I ended up using Digsby. Well, why didn’t I use the single IM client? Simple, because I need to online in three (actually two) IM service at once, MSN, YM and ICQ (sometime). Digsby also support email notification and social networking such as Facebook and MySpace! This save my life a lot. 🙂 Also, I prefer the ad-free client… Oh, also, if you see the left sidebar on this blog now, you will see Digsby widget there! Yup, now you can chat with me directly from this blog… Don’t forget to set your name first so I can identify you. 😉
Okay, back to the client. During the installation, there is some ads and a few application that you need to install. There is total 4 application (free and trial, including Digsby), but I uninstall all of them leaving Digsby alone since I don’t need the other. 🙂 This is fine though, since it is available for free, the important thing is, there is no ads anymore after this…
In this past few weeks, my AVG anti virus can’t update automatically. I’m not sure what cause the problem, but since my PC is quite laggy that time, I though there is some virus on my PC. At that time, my internet connection is very slow, thus, I can’t download a new anti virus. But now, after a little chat with xtreme tcx (The_X, or anything….he like to change his username…lol 🙂 ) he recommends me to use Avira and Malwarebytes.
Two or three days ago, my internet connection starting to perform better, then I started to download both Avira and Malwarebytes. But again, both application can’t connected to internet. So I have no choice instead of manually updating it. But now, I know the reason why my application refused to connect.